• Play Triple Triad
  • The cards
  • Community
  • Forum
  • Improvements to the championship system

The lobby, the championships, the point system... You have a question? A suggestion? You want to organize something? come and talk here!

Re: Improvements to the championship system

Postby Saintsy » Wed May 14, 2014 3:52 pm

I had this massive post written up, but as i went to post it, i thought "why the hell am i arguing theories?"

Cbbk, the problem isn't the current champ system, it's the players.
    High ranked players rarely play final 24 hours unless they Need to. Combine that with champ score and its never going to work. After all, it is a knock out championship. Score high or be eliminated and some people cant afford to risk constantly playing.

Bring this Champ score system on, give it a test over a couple champs, then we will know how much of an impact it'll make to the game, positive and negative. No point at picking apart all the flaws and negative without actually seeing it in action.
    SpenceKwon wrote: dont piss on my back and try to tell me it's raining

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Saintsy

Postby Jack Daniels » Wed May 14, 2014 5:49 pm

If your goal is to get players to play more, then please implement the per-game bonus I have suggested :3

GAMES PLAYED BONUS:
    0.25 Vpts per game
    10 Vpt Maximum bonus (40 games)

or

0.50 Vpts per game
    10 Vpt Maximum bonus (20 games)

Personally, I like the 0.50 Vpts per game bonus...20 games is pretty achievable during a round, and the 10 Vpt bonus isn't too dramatic....but would still be desirable. this will get players to keep playing, since they are getting rewarded, slightly, for every game played, up until the maximum :)
    Jack Daniels

Postby MukuroY » Thu May 15, 2014 1:49 am

I feel like if I'm having a dejà vu here... All this discussions about how "the problem is the players not the system" and suggestions to put bonus per game played (I can't agree... some players have less time to play than others and it will of course favor those who can stay logged for more time or are in a favorable timezone) or about change the value of the bonus per different players are already discussed in a old topic posted by Reakq (but i'm too tired to look for it now :) ).

However I have to say the current bonus make a great change in the final ranking and I can see how it force you to play more. I think it really good, even if, as Emily said, we can have some problems with it in the final rounds. BUT... I think the bonus is a important factor in the final round. If the Final have like 10 players, you have to play with 6 of them to get your +20 it is important to make you test your ability against at least half of the finalists!!! If we would have a change in the bonus, maybe it should be in the value, cutting it to 3 vpts per different player... (maybe if cut the current bonus would be interesting implement the 'bonus per game played" as Jack suggested).

But, backing at the real point... :lol: Yes, lets run it and see what happens. I'm not really convinced it can work, but it is just theories. I could reforce all what was already said here and in the old post, but I prefer see how it can change (or not) the results.
    Wild MUK appeared!
    MukuroY

Postby Cactilión » Fri May 16, 2014 2:34 am

This "championship score" has advantages and disadvantages and some of them have been exposed here... To be honest, I have opposing opinions about this, but I'm sure that we will have a better opinion if we do a test using this system for 1 or 2 championships and let's see what happen
    Cactilión

Postby Jack Daniels » Sat May 17, 2014 4:26 am

CbbK wrote:Hi everybody,
    As you have all already noticed, it often happens that the ranking of a championship phase is changed at the very last moment, and that players who don't have the possibility to be online at that moment will be pushed out of the champ, even if they were ranked in the first half since the beginning of it.

I actually want to state that the "problem" mentioned above...the entire point of this revision to the champ system....isn't actually some type of unfair "problem" at all. Its actually just how it goes, and how its supposed to work. There's no real problem here, and no need for a solution.

Yeah it sucks when you were in the Green, and then later get kicked out...but thats how its supposed to work. Someone played better than you...so they're in, and you're out. Whats the problem here exactly?

Just cause Player A gets in the Green in the first half of the champ, definitely does not, and should not mean he should remain in the green. What if a bunch of players who were not able to play yet, get in there, play much better than Player A, and he gets bumped out towards the end. Since how is that a problem with the system?? Player A did not play as well as the players who bumped him out, and if he wanted more security, he should have kept trying to improve his score....or won more matches, instead of draws or losses!

it really blows my mind that the "problem" indicated in CbbK's initial post isn't being disputed more. Obviously we all see that there are going to be clear advantages and disadvantages to certain players with this new system, depending on when they play during the championship...and many of us see that as a BAD THING...which it is - there should not be any special advantage or disadvantage to any players like that. So yeah, people are in this thread saying it sounds bad, knowing it sounds bad...but then finally saying "well sure we can test it out".....

but take a step back and please tell me how the initial issue is actually a "problem"??? lol. why is a strange fix, which has positives AND negatives even being proposed for something that truly is working how it is supposed to?? I don't care when Player B played...if he played better than Player A, PLAYER B WINS. THATS HOW IT WORKS PEOPLE!!!

throwing it out there, since no one else was taking a step back to do so...gla hf ^^
    Jack Daniels

Postby SpenceKwon » Sat May 17, 2014 4:59 am

Thats the quote I quoted to Saintsy in lobby the other night to quote in his post.

Is this a problem as its not how you intended the championship to run?
    Or
    Is this because of player(s) concern/feedback /complaints?
    Or
    From your observations of game history/frequency and data collection?

For me the current system isnt ideal but I'm happy to work with it

I see that statement as a way of making it clear and level to all.
    Knowing that you can get knocked out at any time especially in the last hours/minutes gives you the knowledge to adjust your play times.
    If you cant play late in phase then you know a higher score might be needed etc.
    We all have to adapt and often play out of our comfort /timezone just to get games in.

Unfortunately in cases this late ladder fluctuation can be caused by unfair games but its not system based its player driven .
    [SRM] Founding Member of the Selective Random Movement-
    *join now to help bring peace and balance to the ongoing war between
    random vs choose

Also Check out all my videos here:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxLT1D ... LmfeWNXWeQ
    SpenceKwon

Postby Jack Daniels » Sat May 17, 2014 6:02 am

Agreed, agreed.
    Jack Daniels

Postby CbbK » Sat May 17, 2014 11:29 am

Case closed then! To add this system to the game would require some time, and as it doesn't seem required there won't be any changes, until next proposition ;)
    CbbK
    Site Admin

Postby Saintsy » Sat May 17, 2014 12:05 pm

CbbK wrote:there won't be any changes, until next proposition ;)

I dont like the look of that wink.. I think he's planning something evil :lol:
    SpenceKwon wrote: dont piss on my back and try to tell me it's raining

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Saintsy

Postby MukuroY » Sat May 17, 2014 1:44 pm

CbbK is always planning something evil, Pupu...
    Wild MUK appeared!
    MukuroY

PreviousNext

Return to TTFO