• Juega a Triple Triad
  • Inscripción
  • Aprende a jugar
  • Las cartas
  • Comunidad
  • Foro
  • Help with Combo and Comboplus

This is where you talk strategy! What are your technics to win? Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Help with Combo and Comboplus

Postby SuperTheBoss » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:31 pm

Hello,

I played triple triad in ff8 extensively and just started playing online yesterday. I found in the game the computer would use a variety of card levels so if you used all your best cards it was usually pretty was to win. I also always played with the diff trade rule and no other rules active. Now that I am playing online I'm finding that being on even footing is a challenge (which will just take practice) and I'm also having issues with some of the rules. I'm not good at using same same wall and plus, but I understand the basic mechanics. Combo and comboplus on the other hand are a complete mystery to me. I have watches the tutorials but those seem like ideal situations which are impossible to set up in a real game. I have also read the tutorial 2a b and c threads on these forums but those seemed a bit over my head.
    My question would be does anyone have some general guidelines for how to play with these rules so that the AI doesn't just combo you into an 8-0 loss every match? I am focusing on level 1 until I get a really firm grasp of the rules. The deck I'm using is geezard, bite bug, fungaur, catraphillar and gesper. Sorry for misspellings I'm writing this on my phone and don't have the card names in front of me. Point is, I've gotten that deck to work okay for me in normal play but with more rules in having issues but I expect its me and not the cards.

Thanks in advance,
    --SuperTheBoss
    SuperTheBoss

Re: Help with Combo and Comboplus

Postby SpenceKwon » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:51 am

SuperTheBoss wrote:I have watches the tutorials but those seem like ideal situations which are impossible to set up in a real game.

Hey mate

I can assure you that these ideal situations are not impossible but arguably have a lower probability :)
    The tutorial's aim was to show the rule in it's fullest form so you can see each step of the combo working.

Now in reference to your question a basic guideline would be to learn how to "stop" or "block" the combo playing out it's fullest form.
    The combo mechanics work on strength based attacks to continue on its merry way

Card choice
    " Do I capture opponents card with strength based attack or do I use a card that can utilize the Same rule etc.
    This also applies to placing defending cards as being mindful of your surrounding cards on board can help minimize the "spread of combo" or help you to use it to your advantage.

I hope this helped in some small way
    [SRM] Founding Member of the Selective Random Movement-
    *join now to help bring peace and balance to the ongoing war between
    random vs choose

Also Check out all my videos here:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxLT1D ... LmfeWNXWeQ
    SpenceKwon

Postby SuperTheBoss » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:01 pm

Thank you that definitely helps, I guess it would be beneficial to primarily use the same and plus rules as much as possible when I have the option of taking a card by power instead then? I think that's what you were getting at.
    SuperTheBoss

Postby Saintsy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:10 am

Sometimes brute force is the way to go, but that often leads to a potential 3-4 card flip with combo or a dreaded lucky 9-1 flip at the end :lol:

The tutorials were made for a basic understanding of the rule, the situations in them are the easiest for people to understand. Sometimes they do come up in AI games.
    The AI will not play Diagonal cards for same/plus, only up/down/left/right. So if it does it and you have a suitable card to "Block" the Same/plus, or Same/plus it yourself, best to do that and just make things up as you go along haha.

Use the decks Pokemon suggested on the other post (Though i prefer the bat over funguar) and get a feel for them. Same/Plus in level can be a pain in the butt as almost anything can plus everything.
    SpenceKwon wrote: dont piss on my back and try to tell me it's raining

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Saintsy

Postby SuperTheBoss » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:07 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, and sorry for jumping threads a lot. I came across another question while I was practicing with the AI. How does Same, Plus or Same wall interact with elemental? is the base value used or is the modified value used? It seems like I can't get it to work.
    SuperTheBoss

Postby pokemon master » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:48 pm

modified value is used for same/same wall/plus when playing with elemental

in original ff8 base value is used. i think cbbk made a good change since it adds more variety to the game (and is more logical for modified number to be used :) )
    pokemon master

Return to Triple Triad